Search

Sunday 7 June 2015

3-Steps to Transition

People who know me know that in my previous role, I was a corporate trainer. I've been in this industry for more than a decade, with numerous hours conducting classroom training, workshops and facilitation. I can say with some confidence I know what it takes to succeed as a corporate trainer.

Recently, an old contact of mine reached out to me and wanted some advice on how to transit into this industry. It is not new for me to receive such requests. 

Each come with their own reasons. 

For some, its because of a calling. They have entered a phase in their lives where they wish to make a difference to people's lives and being a trainer could be a way to achieve this (I can attest that this can be a powerful motivation). For others, it could be because their industry is undergoing the tectonic shifts from globalisation where jobs are shifting to low cost countries (you can read more about this here)

So when I received that call from my old contact, it got me thinking what would be the steps one should take to transit into a new industry or department within the organisation they currently work in. 

I took a leaf from my own experiences and came up with 3 steps in my opinion are the more important ones. I'm sure there are many more steps to apply, but the 3 that I am about to share are perhaps the more important ones, from my experience. 

Step 1: Know the Industry



Cliche as it may sound, this is a very important first step. You must learn as much as you can about the industry you wish to enter, or the department you plan to join. 

When I was transferred to the logistics arm of the company I work for, I read as much as I could about the industry. I tried to understand the players in the industry, the competitors, customers, suppliers, trends and the opportunities in the logistics and supply chain industry. 

Tip 1: Apply a Framework to Understand the Industry 

A good framework that can assist you with this is the famous Porter's Five Forces framework used to analyse the level of rivalry in an industry. You can Google it to learn more. 

If you have time, you can watch the video below.


I find the Five Forces framework a useful mental model to apply to get a high level sense of the industry, its dynamics and potential challenges and opportunities.

Tip 2: Learn Your Industry's "Language"

Every industry has its own unique language. In the supply chain and logistics industry it is no different. I took time to learn the different Incoterms

Learn the various acronyms used in your industry. Find out the different "short forms" or special definitions applied. In doing so, you come across as knowledgeable, and when you meet interviewers, they will come away impressed you have done your homework. 

Step 2: Networks & Mentors



I'm sure you have heard of the saying "no man is an island". Similarly, if you wish to transit into a new industry, it will be very challenging to move into one without the help of friends or contacts who can mentor or guide you. 

When I made the conscious decision to switch to logistics, I reached out to many people I know whom I thought could be of help. I'm fortunate that one of my good buddies and classmate who did the Executive MBA with me made a successful career switch. He was a good mentor that gave good advice. I also reached out to people not from the industry to find out their perspective just to get a complete sense if I am on the right path. 

Internally, I reached out to colleagues who were in the logistics subsidiary to learn more. When I was mentally ready to switch, I made known my goal to pursue a career in logistics and supply chain to them. I took every opportunity to connect with colleagues to learn more about the opportunities within the subsidiary and the sector. 

Tip 3: Reach Out To Your Networks

Everybody I know has a LinkedIn account. If you still don't have one, its time you did. LinkedIn is a powerful platform to connect with friends and through those connections, and those of their connections, reach out to people who can help you in your transition. 

Reach out to friends, old colleagues, and relatives for advise. They can be a good source to learn about the industry you wish to enter, or better still, point you to someone you can then reach out to understand about your chosen sector. 

Tip 4: Find Mentors



When an opportunity to be seconded arose in the logistics subsidiary, I took it immediately. Despite the fact that I had no background or experience in logistics or supply chain management. I admit the initial couple of months wasn't easy. To help me, I found mentors who were willing to teach and transfer knowledge. I found that people were willing to mentor you if you showed a keen desire to learn and a humility to listen. 

Through my mentors, I learned about the industry, the acronyms used, how the operations were organised, and in short order, picked up valuable knowledge to become a contributor to the team. Today, I report to one of the mentors who guided me. 

Finding someone to be your mentor will take time. If you are looking to switch to a new industry, this could take longer since you will first need to reach out to the industry's network, build trust with the individual, and appeal to him/her to be your mentor. If you are looking to move within your organisation, it will probably be easier to find a mentor who can advise and guide you. 

Look for someone who is open to sharing and is patient. Ideally, your mentor should be older than you, and has a good network in the sector you plan to join. 

If its an internal move you are looking for, look for a mentor who is widely respected internally and someone who can help you navigate the transition. 

Step 3: Know Your Transferable Skills

The best place to start preparing for a career transition is to know your transferrable skills.

What do I mean by transferrable skills? 

Transferable skills are skills that can be applied in multiple roles and industries. One can say they are "generalist" type skills. Some examples include:

  • Problem solving skills
  • Communication skills
  • Ability to work in a team
  • Computer skills, especially the ability to use the Microsoft Office Productivity Suite
  • Ability to learn 
  • Ability to listen
  • Organisation skills 
  • Ability to handle complexity
  • Project management skills
  • Ability to come up with creative solutions

I found that these skills are in high demand, particularly in my chosen industry. In fact, as jobs get increasingly automated in pursuit of productivity gains, as knowledge heavy work gets outsourced to low cost countries, these are the skills that will become increasingly crucial to horn as they can be transferred easily. 

Tip 5: Conduct a Skills Audit and Find Your Transferrable Skills

This is a good site listing down some transferrable skills you can review and determine if you score high or low in them. 

This is another site you can check out. It includes a list of transferable skills that is categoried into 5 categories of Human Relations, Design & Planning, Communication, Organization / Management, and Research & Planning. It also has a simple table for you to list your Top 10 skills. You can use this as an exercise to list down your preferred skills. Check it out. 

RECAP

Let's recap again what are the 3-steps to transition and the 5-tips accompanying them. 

Step 1: Know the Industry
  • Tip 1: Apply a Framework to Understand the Industry 
  • Tip 2: Learn Your Industry's "Language"
Step 2: Networks and Mentors
  • Tip 3: Reach Out To Your Networks
  • Tip 4: Find Mentors
Step 3: Know Your Transferrable Skills
  • Tip 5: Conduct a Skills Audit and Find Your Transferrable Skills


I hope you find my second post valuable. Please do share your own tips and steps in the comments box below so that we may collectively learn from each other's experiences. 



Taking one little step at a time,
Aslam Sardar

No comments:

Post a Comment